What was your favorite 2015 summer memory? Each summer our family makes a Summer Outdoor Fun List in which everybody gets to contribute ideas. It’s always fun to reflect on what we set out to do and what we actually did. In this post, I revisit our goals and whether we achieved each or not. Feel free to share your own “must do” summer ideas in the comment box below. I’d love to hear how others enjoy summertime in Duluth and get ideas for our summer 2016 list.
Daley (7 ¾-years-old)
1. Go kayaking – Yes. Accomplished during Camp Du Nord family camp.
2. Go camping – Yes. Daley and Tim go on an annual camping trip to celebrate Daley’s birthday.
3. Go skiing at the indoor ski hill in Bahrain (the Middle Eastern country) – Nope. Didn’t happen.
4. Go to Beth and Tim’s Cabin – Yes. And what a lovely day it was!
5. Go salmon fishing on Lake Superior – No. Need a friend with a fishing boat for this one. Know anyone?
6. Go to Grandma Katie and Poppy Jack’s house – Yes. Grandparents are the best!
7. Go to the dump – No. Still trying to find one that offers public tours. At 8 years old, if Daley made a bucket list, this would be near the top. (Update: He finally got his tour of a landfill and it changed our family!)
8. Dig for dinosaurs – Not exactly. But we did find deer bones in the woods on one of our hikes.
Finley (3 ¾-years-old)
1. Snow fight – Nope.
2. Go camping – No. Got rained out.
3. Go to a cabin – Yes. Thanks to our friends, the Chandlers. And cousins Freddy and Rainy. And Beth and Tim.
4. Go to a circus – No.
6. Run, walk, run, walk – Yes. Finley led this activity after dinner one evening on the driveway. It was super fun.
7. Get a dog – Nope. Someday.
1. Go on weekly picnics – Yes. 11 picnics. Brighton Beach being a favorite location.
2. Go on a book hike – Yes. We called it our Little Free Library Walk.
3. Run through the sprinkler – Yes. A simple summer pleasure.
4. Make our own ice cream with pick-your-own strawberries – Yes. Deeelicious.
5. Watch ore ships in Two Harbors – No. I am still looking forward to this outing someday.
7. Walk through the ground fountains in Canal Park – Yes. And you might want to read my report if you plan to do this outing.
8. Fly kites at Bayfront Park – Yes. Discovered Duluth’s biggest garage filled with free lawn games.
1. Go mountain biking – Yes. Huge milestone for Daley.
2. Walk up the Lester River – Yes. River hiking is now a family favorite.
3. Visit a new MN State Park – Yes. We now know why Gooseberry Falls is one of the most visited MN State Parks.
4. Attend Agate Days in Moose Lake – Yes. The Agate Stampede is worth the day trip.
5. Go swimming in the local rivers, ponds, and lakes – Yes. Lincoln Park. Twin Ponds. Island Lake. Moose Lake. Lester River. Lake Superior (Brighton Beach). Lake Superior (Park Point). Lake Superior (as Daley, says, “Biggest swimming pool in the area”).
6. Go fly fishing on the Cloquet River – Yes.
7. Catch tadpoles – Yes. Another simple pleasure of summer.
Other adventures that were not on our list but we enjoyed include:
- learning to stand up paddleboard
- playing lawn Scrabble at Leif Erikson Park
- hiking at Congdon Park
- volunteering with the City of Duluth
- canoeing the St. Louis River
- exploring Sister Cities Park
Life is good in the summertime Outside In Duluth!
What is your favorite summer memory from 2015? Share your experiences in the comment box below. Thanks!