Finley recently asked, “Mom, can we do a yogurt video?” She was referring to yoga, the ancient art of bringing the body and mind together.
We have mats, but you don’t really need them or any other special equipment. Just your body. And a kids yoga DVD (we borrow them from the Duluth Public Library).
If the weather is nice, we like to do yoga outside in the fresh air.
Here are the benefits of family yoga that we have experienced:
1. Enhances flexibility and coordination – yoga is a great way for a family to be physically active together. Everyone can participate.
2. Develops focus and awareness – coordinating your body into poses takes great attention, which is a skill that is essential in school (and work) too.
3. Fosters imagination – yoga designed for kids requires going on adventures through storytelling. It’s fun and engaging, even for adults.
4. Teaches stress management skills – yoga gives kids (and adults) the tools to reduce stress by breathing deeply and fully and quieting their minds.
5. Creates a peaceful home – practicing yoga together uplifts our moods, which often leads to sibling (and parenting) peace…until Finley jumps on Daley’s mat. (You might also be interested in, “One Easy Way to Create Sibling Harmony”).
What indoor activities does your family take outside? Share your experiences in the comment box below. Thanks!